Tuesday, August 5, 2008

No headphones during action sequences, dammit!

OK, so page 3, and one of my first/favorite references. I never get tired of explaining this, I guess because I'm an enormous geek.



In this panel, The Spaz is listening to, and singing along with, a song performed by Mos Def & The Roots. The song is called “Double Trouble,” and is a reference to the duo Double Trouble, who were a part of the Funky Four Plus One.

All of these things, from Mos Def, through the Roots, on to the Funky Four Plus One, are awesome. Purely awesome. I was introduced to the Funky Four Plus One through the movie WILD STYLE!

But there's more to it than that. Isn't there always? The lines themselves are from RUN-DMC's song, “King of Rock.”

Let the Poppers pop,
And the Breakers break.


Now me, I take that as, “Let that pop music shit burst, and let the makers of real music take over.” I could be wrong – It's just an interpretation. But it's my interpretation.

It's funny – If you listen to Mos & The Roots on the song, it's not a very up-beat ass-kicking tune. It's a very “laid back and feeling groovy” sort of song. Not the sort of thing you might want to be rocking on your headphones if you're about to jump into a giant fight with riot control cops. But that's The Spaz. He takes it easy. He smiles. He has fun. Hell, he's so fast he's untouchable and strong enough to bounce back from just about anything.

Double Trouble was one of the first tunes that really inspired The Young Offenders. I was listening to it a lot when I was first coming up with the characters, long before I met Peter. One of the best bits, not what Spaz quotes, is when you get toward the chorus...

“Either stand tall or just sit the fuck down!”

Yeah.



To me, that's what The Young Offenders are all about.

No comments: